Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)


This stream is for Points-tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government. It allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.

For the Skilled Independent (Points-tested) stream you need to submit an expression of interest.


The process


 Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) via Skill Select with details of your nominated occupation, skills, and qualifications. Skill Select will estimate a points score and rank you against other intending migrants. More information about EOIs, including invitation rounds and occupation ceilings, is available.

If you are ranked high enough and there are places available for your nominated occupation, you will be invited to apply for the visa.

If you are invited, you have 60 calendar days to apply for the visa.


 Your occupation must be on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations.

You must have a skills assessment that shows you have the skills and qualifications to work in that occupation.

Points score

You must be able to meet the points score on your invitation letter. This score will be 65 points (as of 1 July 2018) or more.

The score on your invitation letter is based on the information in your EOI.

You must be able to meet the points score eligibility at the time you are invited to apply for the visa.

Check how many points you might get.

Everyone who wants to be invited to apply for the visa must submit an EOI. When you submit your EOI you will be ranked against other intending applicants and might be invited to apply for the visa (your EOI will stay in the pool for up to 2 years).  There is no cost to submit an EOI.

What you can do with a 189 visa

 This is a permanent visa. It lets you:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible.

Here at Mentors’ Immigration we are experienced in managing general skilled visa applications, and can help you with:

  • Obtaining your skills assessment
  • Preparing your relative sponsorship application
  • Lodging and monitoring your visa application
  • Correspondence with skills assessing authorities and the Department of Immigration until the grant
  • Managing your bridging visas for yourself and family members

Please book an immigration consultation if you like a personalized eligibility assessment of your skilled independent Subclass 189 visa application.

With this visa, you can

  • work and study anywhere in Australia
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence

You must

  • have an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list
  • have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
  • be invited to apply for this visa
  • satisfy the points test
  • you don’t need a sponsor or nominator
  • you must be invited to apply
  • you must be under 45 to be invited